What Does a Whole Roof Replacement Include?
Replacing your entire roof can be a daunting experience, especially when it’s your first time as a homeowner. While a roof replacement is inevitable after a few decades of wear and tear, in some cases, bad weather damage is unavoidable. Going through the insurance claim process alone seems like a tedious task, so having peace of mind that you’re getting your money’s worth is of utmost importance. If you’re trying to form the best decision for your next roof replacement, here’s some information that might help.
Why You Might Need to Replace Your Roof
- Deteriorated Shingles – As with everything, your shingles have a lifespan and can wear out over time. Signs of deterioration may include chipping, peeling, splitting, cracking, curling, or even missing shingles. In some cases, you may be able to replace the affected individual shingles, but with severe damage, you may have to get a roof replacement.
- Roof Rot – When the roof’s wooden components are exposed to moisture, it can lead to roof rot that compromises the structural integrity of your roof. Moisture can seep in and build up from leaks and condensation, which are both symptoms of damaged or improper weatherproofing on your roof.
- Moss and Mold – Similar to the symptom above, moss or mold can develop on your roof as a result of any built-up moisture and debris. If an area of your roof does not get much sun, it can develop moss when combined with frequent bad weather. Additionally, if there are areas of your roof that are uneven, sagging, or have dips, water can pool and be an attractant to moss, mold, or even pests.
- Leaks – If you notice any leaks following a storm, it may be a sign that your roof has been compromised. Also, if your roof is fairly old and you’re starting to notice random water damage spots near your ceiling, it’s a sure sign that roof maintenance has been neglected.
- Roof Is Over 15 to 20 Years Old – It is recommended to replace your roof shingles every 15 to 20 years, depending on how well you take care of your roof. If your roof is at least two decades old and has not undergone an inspection since the beginning, it may be worth looking into a whole roof replacement before any serious inconveniences start to happen.
- Sagging Roof – If you notice a dip on any flat area of your roof, it’s a sign of a sagging roof. Other signs include a wavy surface or bows in the roofline. The reason for your roof sagging may be compromised or insufficient roof rafters and framing.
- Seeing Roof Replacements in Your Neighborhood – One easy way to keep track of your roof’s wear and tear is to observe your neighbors’ roofs around you. If you notice that any houses as old as yours are getting roof replacements, it’s likely that yours needs one, too. Your neighbors’ roofs have likely experienced the same depreciation from weather conditions, so they make great comparison points when making a decision about your roof. However, it’s important to note that as a homeowner, you are responsible for keeping track of your own roof’s condition and should never rely on your neighbors’ maintenance schedules.
What a Roof Replacement Includes
Before Freeman Exteriors begins on any roof replacement work, we provide detailed and itemized estimates on all of the work to be done on your house. We are fully supportive of our customers in discussing every aspect of the project so they are never in the dark when it comes to this important investment.
Shingles (Hip and Ridge)
Many homeowners agree that asphalt shingles are still, by far, the best choice for a roof replacement. They are well known for their durability (well-installed shingles can last up to 20 years), but also their affordability. High-quality asphalt shingles can withstand unpredictable weather conditions, and provide ample energy-efficiency and insulation for a home. They’re low-maintenance and easy to replace individually as needed.
At Freeman Exteriors, your roof replacement will include a selection of high-quality shingles in the color of your choice. See what your roof could look like by scrolling to the middle of the page here.
Also called sheathing, your roof’s decking provides the foundation for your new roof. Decking comprises flat wood boards professionally secured to form the base of the new roof structure.
Roofing underlayment provides an additional layer of protection. It is installed over your decking and provides a flat surface for the application of your shingles. It helps to have underlayment installed especially if your area experiences frequent bad weather. If a leak were to develop from your roof’s external layer, your roof underlayment will help to keep your roof decking dry and uncompromised.
While asphalt shingles are designed to be waterproof, homeowners can opt for additional weatherproofing on their roof replacement by adding coatings or sealants. Furthermore, other solutions like installing underlayment, as mentioned above, or even drip edges and gutter guards can help to draw water away from your roof and provide maximum protection from the elements.
While roofing companies should be more diligent about cleaning up after their work, not all of them do. As a trusted roofing company in Champaign, IL, Freeman Exteriors will help arrange all the services required for the installation and completion of your roof replacement. This includes tearing off and disposing of any old roof materials down to thoroughly cleaning up any remaining debris, residue, or materials after your roof replacement has been completed.
Freeman Exteriors provides the best prices for the most high-quality roofing services in Champaign, IL. We know that a whole roof replacement can be a significant investment for many homeowners, so we provide comfortable financing options, with some payments as low as $99 monthly for 12 months, with 0% interest.
Insurance Claim Assistance
With decades of experience serving the Champaign, IL area, we’ve witnessed firsthand how unpredictable weather can impact roofs across our neighborhood. Freeman Exteriors is prepared to work with you throughout your entire insurance claim process and help you secure the coverage you deserve for your entire roof replacement.
Top Roof Replacement Contractors in Champaign, IL
As the #1 roof replacement contractors in Champaign, IL, Freeman Exteriors is proud to provide you a free estimate for the new high-quality roof that your home or business deserves. Contact us directly at (217) 355-5447 or by filling out our online contact form. We look forward to serving you soon!